Sunday, April 28, 2013

My consumer and me



Do situations influence your brand choice?

Yes, I can think of a number of products that I choose depending on certain situations.

Batteries for instance. I have a lot of nephews that I buy Christmas gifts for and they always need some type of battery.

Call me a bad auntie but I buy cheaper batteries for these occasion at a dollar store. On the other hand I buy Energizer batteries for my smoke detectors and flashlights. I am willing to skimp on the kids toys but not emergency equipment.

Cereal is another product that most people switch brands depending on the situation.
 
Fun and sugar filled cereal are a yummy treat however, can add to the waistline. Most people choose to change cereal choices when considering weight loss.

The marketing challenge is to create a brand that can overcome many different types of situations. Alas, this is very difficult but the great thing is that most companies are able to create other brands to fit different situations. Example: Cinnamon Toast Crunch is also made by the same company as Rice Chex.


The Buying behavior of Customer and Travelers.

Oh !....the art of diving into the consumer's brain to figure out what, how, and why they buy the things they do is a tedious process. Get over it, every successful business does it and does it well.
Travelers positions itself much like Target does, away from the competition. Travelers relies on its outstanding customer service in times of need. It uses facts and data from past natural disasters to demonstrate how well the company can take care of its customer. These facts/stellar performances help ensure the distance between the competition and help launch an elite marketing plan.
Another tactic Travelers uses in marketing to influence the customer buying process is the use of long term memory. Travelers is known for their Red Umbrella. Commercials using this umbrella are normally happy and warm sending a message of security. This symbol is used trigger happy memories so that you can assimilate good thoughts with the Travelers product.




How do I purchase over the counter (OTC) cold remedies?
Most times, I stick with Motrin. Colds are a fact of life and I am a true believer that the common cold doesn't need anything but rest, water and Motrin. No, I am not harsh I'm a realist. Working in the health field  I analysis what how I am feeling and choose a medication to help suppress these symptoms.

My fellow Blogger


I read Marketing by Mindy and Marketing Management by Justin.
Mindy's blog is very organized and answers every prompt by the professor. Her writing is not conversational and is in paragraph form. This is much like my own. Interestingly enough I found it to be hard to read. There were no bullet points just breaks in  paragraphs when the subject was changing. Justin's blog is sports based. I like that every topic we discuss in class he relates to the sports world. This allows for a great thread to be wound his blog.
I've learned that I should maybe introduce a common topic in my blog as well as bullet points to make it an easier and fun read.

The Wonderful World of Pharmasim
When conducting the period 2 trial of either dropping alcohol from the formula or switching from a cough suppressant to an expectorant, I had fun while I learned.

Switching from a cough suppressant to an expectorant, I found that I lost market share in the cold suppressant filed.If, I changed the formula than it left only one other company to reap the rewards of that particular field. It also, lost (-0.133) product utility in the conjoint analysis test.

Taking out alcohol in the formula it not only improved the cost of manufacturing but it increase the product utility (+0.187) when I tested the conjoint analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment